Kevin was invited to a town plan commission meeting and asked to provide guidance on six agenda
items. Topics included:
• conditional uses in business districts
• irregularly shaped properties (“flag lots”)
• legality of outlots
• difference between lot frontage and lot width
• expansion options for a nonconforming structure
• possible land division options for a particular property within the town
Kevin’s handouts, illustrations, and explanations assisted the plan commission as it considered its recommendations to the town board for each agenda item.
On three recent occasions, Kevin has been asked to explain the land use issues involved with a possible solar energy facility being located directly adjacent to a village—especially the impact on land anticipated for future growth. A solar energy facility lease could potentially tie up land for 4 years and prevent village road and utility extensions.